Are you the “AHERA Designated Person”?
Then you’re in charge of implementing an Asbestos Management Plan.
Public school districts and non-profit schools for grades K-12 are required to develop, maintain and update Asbestos Management Plans. These plans document asbestos response actions, locations of the asbestos within schools, and any action taken to repair and remove the material.
Records must be maintained in the Asbestos Management Plan.
The records listed below are required by the EPA to be in the Asbestos Management Plan.
- Name and address of each school building and whether the building has asbestos-containing building material (ACBM), and the type of asbestos-containing material (ACM).
- Date of the original school inspection
- Plan for re-inspections
- Blueprints that clearly identifies the locations of ACBM that remains in the school
- Description of any response action or preventive measures taken to reduce asbestos exposure
- Copy of the analysis of any building, and the name and address of any laboratory that sampled the material
- Name, address, and telephone number of the “AHERA Designated Person” to ensure the duties of the school district or non-profit private school are carried out
- Description of steps taken to inform workers, teachers, and students or their legal guardians about inspections, re-inspections, response actions, and periodic surveillance