Mold can form on children’s toys when they aren’t taken care of appropriately. Mold can develop on toys that are kept in the basement, or left in a damp area outside. Bath toys that aren’t properly dried out can develop mold. The mold can easily damage children’s growing immune systems and cause respiratory problems and allergies.
Here are a few ways to prevent and clean mold:
- Boil the toys in hot water to remove mold. Squeeze them out then lay them out where they can dry quickly.
- Clean them with vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
White Vinegar: Mix one gallon of water with half of a cup of white vinegar. Let the toys soak for one hour, squeeze them out and scrub them down.
Hydrogen Peroxide: Mix two parts water and one part hydrogen peroxide in a bucket. Soak the toys, scrub them, rinse them with water then let them dry.
- Plug up the holes that allow bath toys to squeak. Water can seep in and start mold growth. It can easily be done with a drop of hot glue.
- Run the toys through the dishwasher or washing machine.
If you think you may have mold in your home or building, please don’t hesitate to Contact Us for a Free Estimate.