Indoor Air Quality

What is Carbon Monoxide?

By March 2, 2015 No Comments

Carbon Monoxide

 

Are you experiencing headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea or dizziness?

 

Flu-like symptoms like those mentioned above are the initial symptoms one would experience in a carbon monoxide poisoning.  You will not see or smell anything.  Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, invisible gas typically produced by burning fuel.  Carbon monoxide can become fatal when there are high concentrations indoors.

 

Carbon monoxide is produced by burning fuel:

  • when cooking or heating with fuel-burning appliances,
  • when running a car or generator indoors, or
  • when burning charcoal indoors.

The best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to keep all potential sources like those listed above in good working order.  Improper use of fuel-burning appliances or equipment can cause fatal concentrations of carbon monoxide.

  • Always follow manufacturer’s directions for safe operation.
  • Inspect and service equipment regularly.

Additionally, carbon monoxide alarms with battery back-up should be installed near sleeping areas and tested regularly.

 

If you suspect you are experiencing poisoning by carbon monoxide, immediately get fresh air and medical attention.  Notify the fire department to determine if and when it is safe to re-enter the building.

Follow Us on Social Media!