In 2006, 2.3 million tons of asbestos were mined worldwide. Asbestos is still being used for the manufacture of products and materials which are then shipped into the United States.
Just a few typical products that asbestos can be found in include:
- Vinyl floor tile, sheet flooring, and adhesives
- Drywall and joint compound
- Roofing tars, felts, siding, and shingles
- Transite panels, siding, counter tops, and pipes
- Popcorn ceiling, acoustic ceilings, and ceiling tiles
- Thermal pipe insulation
- HVAC flexible duct connectors
If asbestos-containing material is in good condition, intact, and will not be disturbed, it is best to leave it alone. Generally, material in good condition will not release asbestos fibers. Check the area of concern regularly for signs of wear or damage such as tears, abrasions, or water damage. When asbestos-containing material becomes damaged or will be disturbed, it should be professionally removed by a licensed asbestos contractor.