Tag

lead poisoning Archives - Baxter Environmental Group Inc

American Symbol Poisoned by Lead

By | Lead Paint | 2 Comments

Lead isn’t only dangerous to humans…

A sick American Bald Eagle was found in a field in North Carolina. The ground was wet and muddy and it was obvious the bird was not doing well.

It was discovered that the raptor had lead poisoning. Lou Browning, the wildlife rehabilitation specialist who received the bird, suspected the lead poisoning came from eating prey or animal remains tainted with lead. The bird was treated using chelation therapy- a chemical process in which a synthetic solution is injected into the bloodstream to remove heavy metals and/or minerals from the body.

X-Rays revealed the eagle had 13 to 14 lead fragments in its stomach and intestinal tract. The fragments in its intestines were naturally passed. However, the fragments in its stomach had to be physically removed. A common procedure for raptors to achieve this is to feed it a squirrel skin because the bird cannot digest it. The lead fragments get embedded into the squirrel skin, and the bird then regurgitates it, lead and all.

According to Browning, there are three ways birds of prey accidentally ingest lead.

  • One: A bird eats waterfowl that has consumed lead.

While it’s been illegal in the United States for hunters to shoot waterfowl using lead shots since 1991, lead remains at the bottom of ponds for years. Waterfowl will unknowingly eat the lead pellets while feeding. The eagle then eats the waterfowl and the lead is absorbed into the eagle.

  • Two: A bird eats the remains of animals that had lead in their body.

When a bullet strikes an animal, it fragments and small lead pieces are scattered around the area. If the carcass is left behind, an eagle runs the risk of ingesting the lead within the carcass and the surrounding lead.

A Hunting Tip: To help prevent this ingestion, bury the animal remains.

  • Three: A bird eats a fish that has swallowed lead.

A fish can swallow lead items such as a fisherman’s sinker.

 

Thanks to Browning and the other specialists, the bird is now doing much better, and its blood-lead levels have decreased.

Protect Your Family From Lead Poisoning

By | Lead Paint | No Comments

If your property was built before 1978, there is a possibility that the paint contains high levels of lead.  When lead-based paint begins to deteriorate into dust or chips, it becomes a serious health hazard, especially to children.

 

Having a paint inspection will tell you whether or not your building has lead-based paint and where it is located.  If your building has lead-based paint, it becomes very crucial to maintain these painted surfaces.  To protect your family, follow these simple recommendations:

  • Maintain in good condition, repair or replace any lead-based painted areas.
  • Clean up paint dust or chips immediately.
  • Clean floors, window frames, window sills, and other surfaces at least weekly.  If young children inhabit this area, clean daily.
  • Thoroughly rinse sponges, mop heads and rags after cleaning.
  • Wash children’s hands often and especially before they eat.
  • Keep play areas clean.
  • Keep children from chewing painted surfaces.
  • Clean or remove shoes to avoid tracking lead dust.

Protect Family From Lead

For more information, click here to visit the EPA’s Lead Website.