Things We Should Know About Mold

what you should know about mold


Things We Should Know About Mold

1)  Mold spores are as small as 0.3 microns and are invisible to the naked eye.  They are everywhere all the time, indoors and outdoors.  Where the problem arises is when there are high elevations of mold spores.


2)  Not everyone is sensitive or allergic to mold; however, no one knows the long-term affects of mold exposures.  Those who are sensitive or allergic to mold will experience eye irritation, runny nose, cough, and skin rashes.  Some people also experience headaches and nausea.


3)  The best way to control indoor mold growth is to control indoor moisture.  Moisture does not just mean water intrusions, but also high humidity levels.


4)  If mold is cleaned up, but the moisture issue is not addressed, there is a high probability that the mold contamination will return.  Moisture issues must be controlled to control mold.


5)  Humidity levels should be maintained at 30 to 50%.  Ideal humidity for mold growth is 60% or more.


6)  Bathrooms, dryers, and moisture creating appliances should be vented to the outdoors.


7)  Exhaust fans should be used when cooking, dishwashing, showering or performing tasks that create humidity.


8)  Dehumidifiers should be used in damp rooms, basements or crawlspaces.


9)  To prevent mold, water intrusions should be addressed within 24 hours.


10)  Mold can be cleaned from hard surfaces with water and detergent.  However, mold contamination of porous materials, such as ceiling tiles, furniture, and drywall, should be disposed of properly.


More Posts