Why hire a contractor for asbestos removal?
Asbestos removal is complicated.
Hiring an asbestos abatement company is not only the easiest way to remove asbestos, but is also the SAFEST.
Contractors, facilities managers and others cannot safely remove asbestos without proper training and licensing.
Complications of Doing-It-Yourself:
- Only Residential properties: Asbestos removal by homeowner is limited to residential property. A certified abatement professional must do the work on a commercial property.
- Single-family only: Self-removal can only be performed in single-family residences. This does not include multiple-family units or mixed-use buildings that contain a residential unit.
- Permits are required and vary by location. In one area, several agencies could be regulating asbestos removal.
- Proper disposal: Asbestos cannot be put with the regular garage. It must be disposed of at an approved facility.
While it’s legal for homeowners to remove asbestos themselves, asbestos can cause life-threatening diseases if not properly removed. Disease symptoms may take many years to develop following exposure and can be difficult to identify.
The three primary health concerns associated with asbestos exposure are:
- Lung cancer.
- Mesothelioma, a cancer that is found in the thin lining of the lung, chest, abdomen and heart.
- Asbestosis, a serious progressive, long-term disease of the lungs.
Smokers are at greater risk.