Asbestos and lead-based paint aren’t devils of the past.
They can still be found, and they can cause fatal health problems.
Despite cleanup efforts, there is still enough asbestos and lead-based paint to last for generations. While not dangerous if remained undisturbed, if not maintained properly, they can deteriorate and become a serious health hazard to both adults and children. Many homeowners or businesses can’t afford lead-based paint or asbestos abatement. It can cost thousands of dollars depending on the size of the project. Fortunately, if lead-based paint is covered with non-lead paint, you can safely live in the home. The same goes for asbestos if it is encapsulated. But these are temporary fixes if not maintained. Some states have housing programs that can help residents remove health hazards from their homes.
Not only is there an immense amount of asbestos and lead that exist from previous use, but the use of these products today has not been entirely banned.
The manufacture, importation, processing and distribution in commerce of these asbestos-containing products are not banned: